from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of ruining or the condition of being ruined.
- n. A cause of ruin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being ruined, a state of devastation or destruction.
- n. The act of ruining or wrecking.
- n. The cause of being ruined, destroyed or lost.
- n. A loss of reputation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of ruining, or the state of being ruined.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of ruinating, or the state of being ruinated; ruin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. destruction achieved by causing something to be wrecked or ruined
- n. an irrecoverable state of devastation and destruction
- n. failure that results in a loss of position or reputation
- n. an event that results in destruction
Sorry, no etymologies found.
He said in order to prevent what he called the ruination of the New Jersey economy, he's frozen 375 out 378 programs, needs to bring public-sector spending in line with the private economy.
The use of such icons to signify apocalyptic ruination is nothing new of course.
(link) slander and ruination is where you make it.
So many times we hear of the sons and daughters of wealthy, prominent parents going off the deep end, losing their lives in ruination.
And if any party, Mrs. Doctor, dear, will make it rain before the week is out, and save our kitchen garden from entire ruination, that is the party Susan will vote for.
Actually, the "ruination" such as it is was, as Robert Reich explained, the result of the Clinton administration pushing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to start giving mortgages to people who couldn't afford them.
Ranny had found out that his bicycle, though it diminished his traveling expenses and kept him fit, was simply "ruination" to his clothes.
He says you have been the plague of his life; that you have crossed and defeated him so many times that he will be the 'ruination' of you yet.
The Democratic Alliance protested that this amounts to "disbanding the AFU" and that the plan would be the "ruination" of the NPA because it undermines its independence and places its administration under the director general of justice.
"ruination," did not order a funeral march from Isaiah Savvich, and did not treat the girls to chocolate ...
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.