American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A steep or abrupt downward slope.
- n. A noticeable decrease: a drop-off in attendance.
- n. A designated place where people or things can be left: "distributed 12,000 newspapers to eighty different drop-offs” ( Edward Klein).
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a noticeable decline in performance.
- n. a steep high face of rock.
- n. a change downward.
- v. leave or unload
- v. get worse
- v. fall or diminish
- v. retreat.
- v. change from a waking to a sleeping state
- n. a noticeable deterioration in performance or quality
- n. a steep high face of rock
- n. a change downward
“Chapter 4 details a general drop-off in religiosity, but it is concentrated among whites.”
“Whether a hypothetical abortion is for health or social/economic reasons, we see a similar drop-off in support, especially among the post-boomers.”
“In fact, there was a modest drop-off in the frequency of social or political sermons from 30 percent monthly to 22 percent.”
“Beyond the shoulder of the road was a steep drop-off that ended in a rock-strewn desert wash some fifty yards below.”
“That maelstrom swirls above a deepwater drop-off, where the sea falls away to a bottomless rift.”
“The drop-off in commodity prices underscored a growing concern among investors that geopolitical uncertainties and a weak start to the first-quarter corporate-earnings season could presage a weaker economic outlook.”
“But on Monday, Japan Airlines announced it would cancel seven of its 21 weekly flights to Honolulu from Tokyo's Narita International Airport for most of April, citing the drop-off in demand.”
“It's even hard to get parents to leave at the close of freshmen drop-off weekend.”
“The country is also trying to recover from a drop-off in foreign investment in the past few years.”
“Authorities said a woman in Jacksonville, Ill., handed over drugs she's collected for the last 50 years while a man in Troy, Mo., hauled a kitchen drawer packed with medicine to a drop-off site.”
Looking for tweets for drop-off.