American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To deprive of capacity or natural power; render or make incapable: followed by from or for.
- To deprive of competent ability or qualification; render unfit; disqualify: as, insanity incapacitates one for marriage.
- To deprive of legal or constitutional capacity or privilege; withhold or nullify the right of.
- v. to make incapable (of doing something)
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To deprive of capacity or natural power; to disable; to render incapable or unfit; to disqualify.
- v. (Law) To deprive of legal or constitutional requisites, or of ability or competency for the performance of certain civil acts; to disqualify.
- v. injure permanently
- v. make unable to perform a certain action
“Oh, and in case anyone's wondering about why we would need to "incapacitate" this monster Padilla, soviet style:”
“His superiors used words such as incapacitate and immobilize.”
“The government had no reason to believe the SAPS would in any way "incapacitate" the Attorney-General in the discharge of his duty.”
“JERUSALEM (JTA) -- Israeli naval commandos should have used snipers to "incapacitate" the activists on the deck of a Turkish ship who attacked as the soldiers were boarding, Israel's military chief said.”
“Israeli naval commandos should have used snipers to "incapacitate" the activists on the deck of a Turkish ship who attacked as the soldiers were boarding, Israel's military chief said.”
“incapacitate" and "kill" jihadists suggests that it isn't foreign wars that he is opposed to-it was that particular war.”
“All forty-one hostage takers were executed by the Russian troops that stormed the building, and 129 hostages died, almost all killed by the anesthetic gas piped in to incapacitate the terrorists see Chapter 3.”
“The judge determined at the time that he was faking a psychotic episode that had appeared to incapacitate him for several days.”
“While Israel has the right to defend itself, its retaliation has far exceeded efforts to release the soldiers or incapacitate Hezbollah; it is in fact destroying Lebanon.”
“We have every right to incapacitate them to the best of our ability and by doing so we will be saving innocent lives in the long run.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘incapacitate’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Use these and get promoted
mostly from magoosh
Words I should learn/I want to learn/I just learned, with a quotation to help the medicine go down.
All the words which I encounter during my GRE studies. :)
...all my favorite words...
Words from 2009 'Watchmen' film.
Looking for tweets for incapacitate.