from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A general idea derived or inferred from specific instances or occurrences.
- n. Something formed in the mind; a thought or notion. See Synonyms at idea.
- n. A scheme; a plan: "began searching for an agency to handle a new restaurant concept” ( ADWEEK).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An understanding retained in the mind, from experience, reasoning and/or imagination; a generalization (generic, basic form), or abstraction (mental impression), of a particular set of instances or occurrences (specific, though different, recorded manifestations of the concept).
- n. In generic programming, a description of supported operations on a type, including their syntax and semantics.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An abstract general conception; a notion; a universal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A general notion; the predicate of a (possible) judgment; a complex of characters; the immediate object of thought in simple apprehension. Conception is applied to both the act and the object in conceiving; concept is restricted to the object.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an abstract or general idea inferred or derived from specific instances
On a related note, a couple weeks ago at the shop I was discussing the fact that, when the Earth Prime Superboy was introduced during the original Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover shenanigans, the only purpose he really served was 1) to represent the concept of Earth Prime i.e. "our" Earth), and 2) to act as a symbolic "goodbye" to the Superboy concept* at the end of the series.
Movies live or die now by whether a certain concept is tracking well for opening weekend.
The other paintings, while excellent, don't encapsulate the title concept as effectively as that little sleeping dino - in my 'umble opinion.
As for the remaining four songs, 'Wrapped Around Your Finger' and 'Tea In The Sahara' are doomy ciphers, the former possibly about marriage, the latter open to a handful of interpretations, none of them exactly upbeat, while 'Synchronicity I' is a trifle explaining the title concept and the monster hit 'Every Breath You Take', is ostensibly a trite love song with it's icy and obsessive core just barely concealed.
The main concept is that of an international solidarity expressed in practice through worldwide division of labor: free trade is the principal point in the program of internationalism.
Harding-which had always seemed like the natural climax of the season-was premised on the title concept of the "return to normalcy": that is, after a period in which the country suffered its involvement in the gruesome Great War and went through a period of reformist upheaval at home, it was time for everyone to calm down and focus on quietly prospering.
But the concept is the same as the excise tax – make people feel the cost of spending MORE on health insurance, and by extension, health care.
Buried in the concept is the sense that one's loyalty must not be plural.
Your concept is there, but I think it needs a little tweaking.
This concept is amplified to the extreme in the material world.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.