from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A specifically defined division in a system of classification; a class.
- n. A general class of ideas, terms, or things that mark divisions or coordinations within a conceptual scheme, especially:
- n. Aristotle's modes of objective being, such as quality, quantity, or relation, that are inherent in everything.
- n. Kant's modes of subjective understanding, such as singularity, universality, or particularity, that organize perceptions into knowledge.
- n. A basic logical type of philosophical conception in post-Kantian philosophy.
- n. Linguistics A classificatory structural unit or property of a language, such as a part of speech, verb phrase, or object.
- n. Linguistics A specific grammatical defining property of a linguistic unit or class, such as number or gender in the noun and tense or voice in the verb.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A group, often named or numbered, to which items are assigned based on similarity or defined criteria.
- n. A collection of objects, together with a transitively closed collection of composable arrows between them, such that every object has an identity arrow, and such that arrow composition is associative.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the highest classes to which the objects of knowledge or thought can be reduced, and by which they can be arranged in a system; an ultimate or undecomposable conception; a predicament.
- n. Class; also, state, condition, or predicament.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In logic, a highest notion, especially one derived from the logical analysis of the forms of proposition.
- n. A summum genus, or widest class.
- n. Any very wide and distinctive class; any comprehensive division or class of persons or things.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a general concept that marks divisions or coordinations in a conceptual scheme
- n. a collection of things sharing a common attribute
Dates in the URL might look appropriate for a true Blog, but %category%/%postname% is far more user friendly, and many visitors will instinctively know to trim the URL to see the category home page.
Another question, how does WP chooses which category to use at %category%?
With respect to % category% not working in Apache 1. x, we got it working for 3 levels of category hierarchy by manually editing. htaccess and replacing the regexp where category would appear, namely
Add (New SqlParameter ( "@category", category)) command.
; '' '% category%' '': A sanitized version of the category name (category slug field on New/Edit Category panel).
[keywords] = @keywords, [private] = @private, [category] = @category, [gallerymember] =
On Twitter, the term "category 1" was one of the top trending topics Saturday afternoon.
In addition we have about 25,000 lots in the title category, many originating from our low basis land with minimal investment.
This category is the home of a multitude of bad practices that start small and spread virally, from excessive fees to deliberately impenetrable explanations, to terms and conditions that change without warning.
And while the manga category is again dominated by Naruto, in seven of the 10 spots, the paperback list has a couple of noteworthy entries in the second and third spots: IDW's move prequel Star Trek: Countdown, and Drawn & Quarterly's Yoshihiro Tatsumi autobiography A Drifting Life.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.