from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Biology A taxonomic category of related organisms ranking between an order and a family.
- n. A subdivision of a category termed an order.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A taxonomic category below order and above infraorder.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A division of an order; a group of genera of a little lower rank than an order and of greater importance than a tribe or family.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany and zoology, a subdivision of an order; a group subordinate to an order; a superfamily. See family, 6, and order, n., 5.
- n. In architecture, a subordinate or secondary order; an order introduced for decoration, or chiefly so, as distinguished from a main order of the structure.
- n. In petrography, in the quantitative classification of igneous rocks (see rock), a division lower than order and higher than rang.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (biology) taxonomic group that is a subdivision of an order
Sorry, no etymologies found.