from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Biology A taxonomic category or group, such as a phylum, order, family, genus, or species.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the taxonomic categories such as phylum or subspecies
- n. A specific taxonomic category above superfamily and below infraorder; a parvorder
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a taxonomic group, or the name of a taxonomic grouping.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. animal or plant group having natural relations
New Latin, back formation from taxonomy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)