from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An occasionally used taxonomic category ranking between a genus and a species.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A subdivision of a genus
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A subdivision of a genus, comprising one or more species which differ from other species of the genus in some important character or characters.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A subordinate genus; a section or subdivision of a genus higher than a species.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (biology) taxonomic group between a genus and a species
sub- + genus (Wiktionary)