from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The genetic makeup, as distinguished from the physical appearance, of an organism or a group of organisms.
- n. The combination of alleles located on homologous chromosomes that determines a specific characteristic or trait.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The combination of alleles, situated on corresponding chromosomes, that determines a specific trait of an individual, such as "Aa" or "aa".
- n. A group of organisms having the same genetic constitution.
- v. To determine the genotype of.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A group of organisms sharing a specific genetic constitution.
- n. The genetic constitution of an organism, specifying the particular alleles at defined loci in the genome; -- used with respect to one gene, a specific group of genes, or the entire set of genes within the organism. Contrasted with
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The type specimen or original description or illustration of a genus. See type specimen, under type.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a group of organisms sharing a specific genetic constitution
- n. the particular alleles at specified loci present in an organism
Your child's genotype is important because certain genotypes respond better to treatment than others.
That fixed sequence is known as your genotype, and it sets the parameters for your good health, as well as your relative risk for developing disease.
Rapid divergence of phenotype but not of genotype is theoretically possible, but given the genetic closeness of the sampled individuals (and this assumes that the extant Giant tortoises identified as D. arnoldi and D. hololissa really are remnants of the same populations as those given these names but based on old material), should they be recognised as species separate from D. dussumieri?
I prefer redheads, yes, but only if their genotype is XX!
After Suomi, Lesch, and Higley had grouped the monkeys’ 5-HIAA levels according to their serotonin genotype (short/long or long/long, but not short/short, which was too rare to be of use), they also sorted the results by whether the monkeys had been raised by their mothers or as orphans with only same-aged peers.
The 2 studies reported that individuals carrying the MTHFR 677TT variant genotype, which is associated with decreased enzyme activity, lower plasma folate levels, and elevated plasma homocysteine levels, had a statistically significant approximately 2- to 5-fold higher risk of pancreatic cancer compared with individuals with the 677CC genotype.
The genotype is the DNA sequence which is found in every cell of the life-form.
In modern terms, this is called genotype-by-environment interaction, where the selective effect, s, of a gene changes with change in the environment.
This is known as genotype x environment interaction (GEI) and breeding strategies must recognize this feature.
If the genotype is the same (BB or bb) it is called homozygous recessive or homozygous dominant.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.