from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A taxonomic category of related organisms ranking below an order or its subdivisions and above a family.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A taxonomic category above family and below order (and its subdivisions).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A group intermediate between a family and a suborder.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In biology, a group of families, or a. group of a grade next above the family.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (biology) a taxonomic group ranking below an order but above a family
super- + family (Wiktionary)