from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Biology A taxonomic category of related organisms ranking between a family and a genus.
- n. Linguistics A division of languages below a family and above a branch.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A taxonomic category ranking between a family and a genus; formerly called a tribe
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the subdivisions, of more importance than genus, into which certain families are divided.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology, the first subdivision of a family, containing several genera or only one genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (biology) a taxonomic category below a family
sub- + family (Wiktionary)