from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of subdividing.
- n. A subdivided part.
- n. An area of real estate composed of subdivided lots.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a division into smaller pieces of something that has already been divided; to separate something
- n. such a piece that has been divided
- n. a parcel of land that has been divided into lots
- n. a group of houses created by the same builder or in the same general area
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of subdividing, or separating a part into smaller parts.
- n. A part of a thing made by subdividing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of redividing, or separating into smaller parts.
- n. A minor division; a part of a part; specifically, in zoology and botany, a minor division of a group; a subsection: as, subdivisions of a genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a section of a section; a part of a part; i.e., a part of something already divided
- n. the act of subdividing; division of something previously divided
- n. an area composed of subdivided lots
- n. a self-contained part of a larger composition (written or musical)
- n. a division of some larger or more complex organization
From sub- + division (Wiktionary)