from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or an instance of using a file.
- n. A particle or shaving removed by a file: metal filings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any particle that has been removed by a file or similar implement; a shaving.
- n. The act of storing documents in an archive; archiving.
- v. Present participle of file.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fragment or particle rubbed off by the act of filing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of using a file.
- n. A fragment or particle rubbed off by a file: as, iron-filings.
- n. The act of putting upon file.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. preservation and methodical arrangement as of documents and papers etc.
- n. the act of using a file (as in shaping or smoothing an object)
- n. the entering of a legal document into the public record
- n. a fragment rubbed off by the use of a file
Sorry, no etymologies found.