from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Surgical excision or amputation of a body part or tissue.
- n. The erosive processes by which a glacier is reduced.
- n. Aerospace The dissipation of heat generated by atmospheric friction, especially in the atmospheric reentry of a spacecraft or missile, by means of a melting heat shield.
- n. Aerospace The reduction or removal of heat-protective surface material by aerodynamic friction, as from a heat shield.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A carrying or taking away; removal.
- n. Extirpation.
- n. Wearing away; superficial waste.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A carrying or taking away; removal; suppression.
- n. In medicine, the taking from the body by mechanical means of anything hurtful, as a diseased limb, a tumor, a foreign body, pus, or excrement.
- n. In chem., the removal of whatever is finished or no longer necessary.
- n. In geology, the wearing away or waste of a glacier by melting or evaporation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the erosive process that reduces the size of glaciers
- n. surgical removal of a body part or tissue
Late Latin ablātiō, ablātiōn-, from Latin ablātus, past participle of auferre, to carry away : ab-, away; see ab-1 + lātus, carried; see telə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)