Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act expressed by the verb to scour in its various senses. Specifically
- Having an erosive action on the hearth of the furnace: said of slag which is very fusible and fluid when melted, highly vitreous when cooled, also generally very silicious and ferruginous in composition.
- n. The act of cleaning a surface by rubbing it with a brush, soap and water
- n. of livestock diarrhoea.
- v. present participle of scour.
- n. moving over territory to search for something
- n. the act of cleaning a surface by rubbing it with a brush and soap and water
“In the cities, hours were spent, usually by the mother and children, in scouring the streets for coal and hauling it home.”
“The little ladies were heated by discussion and the parson by vain scouring of the country on foot, when they asked his advice upon their project, and related their conversation with the lawyer.”
“It becomes saturated with offensive matter, which scouring is only wanted to bring out.”
“The clubs, for their part, are becoming more and more ruthless in scouring Africa for the next season’s jewels.”
“The likely cause of the spill was an effect called scouring, which can expose pipelines to passing debris and potential rupture.”
“And with this water moving very rapidly, it could -- it could get moving, causing what the Corps calls scouring in that area.”
“One of the duties of children was to gather a kind of horse-tail rush which grew in the marshes, and because it was used to scour pewter, was called scouring-rush.”
“A leading collector once conceived the idea of scouring the little-visited country towns of Spain for rare old Spanish stamps, and”
“The terms of sale do not require this kind of scouring, but somehow we have brought ourselves here to perform it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘scouring’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
An obnoxious and ridiculous madlib list where verbish '-ing' words fill in the blank wherein the blank is a call for a beating.
"You're ________in' for a brus...
Looking for tweets for scouring.