from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The ceremonial washing of the hands and recitation from the Psalms by the celebrant before the Eucharist in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches.
- n. A washbowl that is attached to a wall and filled from a water tank fastened above.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A washbasin, especially one attached to the wall of a church, and used for the ceremonial washing of the hands of the celebrant before the eucharist
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Eccles., in the Roman Catholic Church, and in many Anglican churches, the ritual act of washing the celebrant's hands after the offertory and before entering upon the more solemn part of the eucharistic service: so called from the priest's reciting at the time the last part of the 26th psalm, beginning with the sixth verse, “I will wash my hands in innocency,” in Latin, “Lavabo manus meas in innocentia.” In the Greek Church this takes place in the prothesis, before vesting.
- n. In many monasteries of the middle ages, a large stone basin from which the water issued by a number of small orifices around the edge, for the convenient performance of ablutions before religious exercises or meals.
- n. Hence A convenience of similar object and arrangement in some modern schools or institutions; a lavatory.
- n. The psalm in the mass service which the priest recites at the washing of his hands.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a basin for washing the hands (`wash-hand basin' is a British expression)
And the "lavabo," as it is here called, a spacious room with an ostentatiously noisy rush of water which may be heard afar and awakens one at night.
Right below these words are: "lavabo" and "lavage", which reminds me of
Other items necessary for the celebration of holy Mass, such as water, wine, paten, bells and lavabo are place near the altar on a separate, or credence, table.
The more elaborate arch in the center marks the lavabo.
Assez grande quand meme avec une mini baignoire et un lavabo et assez d'espace pour bouger.
The priest and I went through the whole mass as if we had done it together many times before: water and wine; lavabo (the ritual of washing hands after the offertory); changing the book; suscipiat (a five-line prayer of acceptance); and the final blessing.
Je ne me baigne pas dans mes toilettes, c juste qu'il y a un lavabo!!
Il aurait quand meme pu venir pendant le malaise voir si j'etais pas mort noyé dans mon lavabo ou quoi quand meme!!
Venüs 'yarı sıvı yüzey boyunca lavabo istiyorsunuz Europa's buz tabakaları roam verebilecek bir robot. o Jüpiter'in atmosferi sayesinde kayma olabilir, o kış-time Pluto's atmosphereless ortamının yüzeyine düz düşecek.
Ce matin je l'ai pris en photo, il etait en train de dormir dans le lavabo de la salle de bain, je l'ai aussi filmé durant un de ses habituels petage de plomb!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.