from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the action of ingesting, or consuming something orally, whether it be food, drink, medicine, or other substance. It is usually referred to as the first step of digestion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of taking or putting into the stomach.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of throwing, putting, or taking in, as into the stomach: as, the ingestion of milk or other food: opposed to egestion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the process of taking food into the body through the mouth (as by eating)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
If, on the other hand, the patient initially experiences coughing, choking, or vomiting, or if the ingestion is intentional, referral to a health care facility for evaluation is necessary. 11
The findings of colchicine toxicity can be divided into three temporal states. 3 The first state, lasting from two to 24 hours post-ingestion, is notable for abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea with volume depletion.
If ingestion is the danger, then we are indeed harming waterfowl.
Effect of short-term ingestion of konjac glucomannan on serum cholesterol in healthy men.
* About 98% of uranium entering the body via ingestion is not absorbed,
* About 98% of uranium entering the body via ingestion is not absorbed, but is eliminated via the faeces.
"Long term ingestion (of the water) may also promote liver diseases."
We were now seeing the first evidence linking an increase in alcohol-craving behavior to permanent biochemical changes induced by long-term ingestion of alcohol—in itself a scientific confirmation of the folk belief that alcohol can cause alcoholism.
It's a problem of long term ingestion, of drinking this water for a lifetime.
Long-term ingestion of water with those substances can increase the risk of cancer and might attack the nervous system and kidneys, it added.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.