American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who plays a drum, as in a band.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who plays the drum; especially, one who beats time on the drum for military exercises and marching.
- n. One who solicits custom; a traveling salesman; a commercial traveler.
- n. A local name of a large West Indian cockroach, Blatta gigantea, which, in old frame houses, makes a noise at night, by knocking its head against the wood. The sound very much resembles a smart knocking with the knuckle upon the wainscoting.
- n. A horse that beats the air by throwing its fore legs out irregularly as it goes.
- n. Same as drum, 11.
- n. A local English name for a rabbit: so called on account of its habit of beating or drumming upon the earth with the hind feet.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One whose office is to best the drum, as in military exercises and marching.
- n. Colloq. U.S. One who solicits custom; a commercial traveler.
- n. (Zoöl.) A fish that makes a sound when caught.
- n. The squeteague.
- n. A California sculpin.
- n. (Zoöl.) A large West Indian cockroach (Blatta gigantea) which drums on woodwork, as a sexual call.
- n. someone who plays a drum
- drum (the instrument) + -er (Wiktionary)
“And just as naturally, the drummer is an ex-Marine.”
“It reminds me of the cruel but true joke: "you know what you call a drummer without a girlfriend?”
“For some, this month and the work of the Ramadan drummer is a source of income otherwise absent in Gaza under complete and strangling siege.”
“You know, my drummer is playing with his hands on the kit, and it's just a very acoustic-based song that way.”
“The performance is exceedingly professional and occasionally stirring, mostly when frontman Dougy Mandagi trades vocal wailing for wailing on a floor tom to join drummer Toby Dundas in creating a forceful, percussive rumble.”
“At which point Dale blew his top and, screaming "I'll murder him", chased the intrusive Who drummer from the building.”
“The legendary drummer is obviously comfortable with Dunn, openly explaining this painful life phase and describing his healing road trip as a “soothing balm.””
“The redoubtable Artimus Pyle, drummer, is at his crispest.”
“The duel switches to Sahai and Yoshie Sunahata, a drummer from the Japanese Kodo ensemble.”
“The movie is about a drummer from a failed 80's band that joins a high school band to live his dreams of becoming a rock superstar.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘drummer’.
lots and lots of fish, a piscatorial
Words heard on the radio program, Lum and Abner.
Words I come across at work.
Now stripped of most military terms, which have found a new home on the list Historical Military Terms of Interest. See also (and add to!) hilarious misspe...
Ok, I'm changing this one to an in-between list for Conversations and Chit Chat. We just have too much fun. :)
A list of participants in the poem "Constellations reel" by lcmt
Looking for tweets for drummer.