from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who plays the fiddle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who plays on a fiddle or violin.
- n. A burrowing crab of the genus Gelasimus, of many species. The male has one claw very much enlarged, and often holds it in a position similar to that in which a musician holds a fiddle, hence the name; -- called also fiddler crab, calling crab, soldier crab, and fighting crab.
- n. The common European sandpiper (Tringoides hypoleucus); -- so called because it continually oscillates its body.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who plays a fiddle, violin, or some similar instrument; a violinist.
- n. A sixpence.
- n. In the United States, a fiddler-crab.
- n. The common sandpiper, Tringoides hypoleucus, so called from its habit of balancing the body as if on a pivot.
- n. A fish, Trygonorhina fasciata, a member of the family Rhinobatidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who manipulates in a nervous or unconscious manner
- n. a musician who plays the violin
- n. an unskilled person who tries to fix or mend
Sorry, no etymologies found.