from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that carries a torch.
- n. One, such as the leader of a government, who imparts knowledge, truth, or inspiration to others.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who carries a torch (flaming brand)
- n. The leader of a campaign, or one who gives inspiration to others
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One whose office it is to carry a torch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who bears a torch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a leader in a campaign or movement
Sorry, no etymologies found.