from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of the persons carrying or attending a coffin at a funeral.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who carries a corner of the pall over a coffin or casket.
- n. One called upon to carry or bear the casket at a funeral.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of those who attend the coffin at a funeral; -- so called from the pall being formerly carried by them.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who with others attends the coffin at a funeral: so called from the old custom of holding the corners and edges of the pall as the coffin was carried, whether on a vehicle or by men.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of the mourners carrying the coffin at a funeral
From pall + bearer (Wiktionary)