from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The degree or status of a doctor as conferred by a university.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The highest degree awarded by a university faculty.
- v. To make into a doctor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The degree, title, or rank, of a doctor.
- transitive v. To make (one) a doctor.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The degree of doctor.
- To make a doctor of; confer the degree of doctor upon. Also doctorize.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of the highest earned academic degrees conferred by a university
Sorry, no etymologies found.