American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A man with more than human powers.
- n. An ideal superior man who, according to Nietzsche, forgoes transient pleasure, exercises creative power, lives at a level of experience beyond standards of good and evil, and is the goal of human evolution. Also called overman.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An imaginary superior being, the product of human evolution: conceived and vaguely characterized by Nietzsche: also used in a general sense. See the second extract.
- n. An imagined superior type of human being representing a new stage of human development; übermensch.
- n. A person of extraordinary or seemingly superhuman powers.
- n. A motorcycling stunt in which the rider releases both hands from the handlebars in mid-air.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. same as overman, above.
- n. a fictional character of cartoons, movies and television, with superhuman powers such as great strength, the ability to fly, and x-ray vision. In the cartoon tale, he was born on the planet Krypton and sent by his parents into space before it exploded, and landed on earth, where he fights for "truth, justice, and the American way". He works incognito as a reporter at the Daily Planet, and is constantly trying to avoid the uncovering of his secret identity by a co-worker, Lois Lane.
- n. a person with great powers and abilities
- n. street name for lysergic acid diethylamide
- A calque of German Übermensch; super- + man. Compare overman. The sense of "person of extraordinary powers" was reinforced by the character Superman. (Wiktionary)
- Translation of German Übermensch : über-, super- + Mensch, man. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Years before, the Inner Circle had chosen to reject the term superman in favor of Superior (always capitalized).”
“i think the only way to get people back interested in superman is to do either a live action movie based on "The Death of Superman" (or Doomsday whatever they call it) or the do a live action version of "Worlds Finest" with Christian Bale as Batman with the same gritty feel as Batman Begins and The Dark knight.”
“He would fix that problem by having Khan Noonien Singh, a genetic superman from the TOS ep “Space Seed” who had been played by the marvelous Ricardo Montalban, reappear from the planet where Captain Kirk had exiled him 15 years earlier to seek revenge.”
“I think a new realistic approach to superman is exactly the right way to go. pjcampbell”
“Great news about Batman really. superman is no good let it die, he is a kids comic book hero at best, the boring invincible hero called Superman should be laid to rest.”
“Words can't express how glad I am superman is being guided by Nolan.”
“October 24, 2007 at 12: 04 am millar doing superman is about as likely as Michael Bay doing Shakespeare in the park.”
“BATMAN PATCH catwoman joker robin superman movie comics”
“Ryan on Apr 8, 2008 sounds like it could be pretty interesting though im not a fan on Brandon Routh didn't really care for him in superman but well just have to see, lets see what TMNT director can do with live action.”
“I also agree with Rhett, despite the fact that superman is pretty damn powerful and almost impossible to kill, I like him a lot because he is the perfect “Lawful Good” character.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘superman’.
List of plant names (common or scientific) that go trippingly off the tongue, are fun to contemplate, expose the wit of the namer, or just plain befuddle.
tongueshape mudmi..., glandular maiden ..., jeweled maiden fern, stately maiden fern, hairy maiden fern, downy maiden fern, widespread maiden..., turkey tangle fog..., yankeeweed, clitoria fragrans, clitoria mariana, tall tumblemustard and 261 more...
Unabashedly stolen from a comment made by courier12.
Im savin it for later
cool beans dude
hit me man
Get a life dude
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
These politically incorrect words for people contain the element 'man', 'son', or 'boy'.
Everything that contains a man in it
My big word list.
Trademark of Stephen Colbert and The Colbert Report.
Look, up in the dictionary! It's words coined in or popularized by Superman comics and other media.
Characters of fiction from films, books, myths, legends, etc.
Personajes de ficciÃ³n de pelÃculas, libros, mitos, leyendas, etc.
Interesting gene names
Once upon a time, I'd've done anything to get in their underwear.
A compound, derivative, or phrase that is introduced into a language through translation of the constituents of a term in another language (e.g. superman from German Ubermensch).
Looking for tweets for superman.