from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several auks of the genus Cepphus, having black plumage with white markings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any seabird belonging to the genera Uria and Cepphus of the auk family Alcidae. They have black and white bodies and are good at swimming and diving.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of several northern sea birds, allied to the auks. They have short legs, placed far back, and are expert divers and swimmers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bird of the genus Uria of Brisson, or of either of the genera Uria and Lomvia of late authors; a murre.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small black or brown speckled auks of northern seas
French, diminutive of the personal name Guillaume.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)