from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several large auks of the genus Uria, having black plumage and white markings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any of the seabirds of the genus Uria in the auk family
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several species of sea birds of the genus Uria, or Catarractes; a guillemot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See mur.
- n. The common guillemot, Uria or Lomvia troile, and other species of the genus, as U. or L. brünnichi, the thick-billed murre or guillemot.
- n. The similar but quite distinct razor-billed auk, Alca or Utamania torda. See cut under razor-bill.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. black-and-white diving bird of northern seas
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Unknown origin (Wiktionary)