from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See wading bird.
- n. Waterproof hip boots or trousers worn especially while fishing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who wades.
- n. A waterproof boot that comes up to the hip, used by fishermen, etc.
- n. A long-legged bird associated with wetland or coastal environments.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, wades.
- n. Any long-legged bird that wades in the water in search of food, especially any species of limicoline or grallatorial birds; -- called also wading bird. See Illust. g, under Aves.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which wades.
- n. In ornithology, any bird belonging to the old order Grallæ or Grallatores, comprising a great number of long-legged wading birds, as distinguished from those water-birds which have short legs and webbed feet and habitually swim.
- n. High water-proof boots worn by fishermen or sportsmen in general for wading through water.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of many long-legged birds that wade in water in search of food
Sorry, no etymologies found.