from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tall wading bird (Balaeniceps rex) native to swampy regions of eastern tropical Africa, having slaty plumage, long black legs, a stubby neck, and a large shoelike bill with a hook on the upper mandible.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tall wading bird related to the stork, native to tropical African swamps.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large African wading bird (Balæniceps rex) allied to the storks and herons, and remarkable for its enormous broad swollen bill. It inhabits the valley of the White Nile. See Illust. (l.) of beak.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The whalehead, Balæniceps rex. See cut under Balæniceps.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large stork-like bird of the valley of the White Nile with a broad bill suggesting a wooden shoe
From shoe + bill (Wiktionary)