from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of conferring aid of some sort.
- n. A charitable gift or deed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An act of doing good; a benefit, a blessing.
- n. An act of charity; almsgiving.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of conferring a benefit.
- n. A benefit conferred; esp. a charitable donation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of conferring a benefit; a doing of good; beneficence.
- n. A benefit conferred; especially, a charitable donation.
- n. Synonyms Kindness. Gift, contribution, alms, charity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a contribution of money or assistance
- n. an act intending or showing kindness and good will
Late Latin benefactiō, benefactiōn-, from Latin benefactus, past participle of benefacere, to do a service : bene, well; see deu-2 in Indo-European roots + facere, to do.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin benefactiōnem, from benefacere ("to benefit"). (Wiktionary)