from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or quality of being kind, charitable, or beneficial.
- n. A charitable act or gift.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An act of philanthropy, a kind deed; an act which benefits someone (else.)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The practice of doing good; active goodness, kindness, or charity; bounty springing from purity and goodness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The practice of doing good; active goodness, kindness, or charity.
- n. A benefaction; a beneficent act or gift.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. doing good; feeling beneficent
- n. the quality of being kind or helpful or generous
Latin beneficentia, from beneficus, beneficent-, benefic; see benefic.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)