American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. In or into the inner part; inside.
- adv. Inside the mind, heart, or soul; inwardly.
- prep. In the inner part or parts of; inside: resentment seething within him.
- prep. Inside the limits or extent of in time or distance: arrived within two days; stayed within earshot; within ten miles of home.
- prep. Inside the fixed limits of; not beyond: lived within her income.
- prep. In the scope or sphere of: acted within the law; within the medical profession.
- prep. Inside a specified amount or degree: The team had pulled to within five points of winning.
- n. An inner position, place, or area: treachery from within.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In or into the interior; inside; as regards the inside; on the inside; internally.
- In the mind, heart, or soul; inwardly.
- In the house or dwelliug; indoors; at home: as, the master is within.
- In or into the inner or interior part or parts of; inside of; in the space inclosed or bounded by: as, within the city: opposed to without.
- Included or comprehended in.
- In the course, range, reach, compass, or limits of; not beyond or more than: of distance, time, length, quantity. Of distance: At or to a point distant less than; nearer than: as, within a mile of Edinburgh.
- Of time: In the limits or course of; before the expiration of; in: as, he will be here within two hours.
- Not exceeding the space of; during; throughout.
- So as not to exceed or overpass; under; below: as, to live within one's income.
- In; in the purview, scope, or sphere of action of.
- In advance of; before.
- All but; lacking.
- prep. Indicates spatial enclosure or containment.
- prep. Indicates figurative inclusion within the scope of.
- prep. Before the specified duration ends.
- adv. in or into the interior; inside
GNU Webster's 1913
- prep. In the inner or interior part of; inside of; not without.
- prep. In the limits or compass of; not further in length than; ; not longer in time than; ; not exceeding in quantity.
- prep. Hence, inside the limits, reach, or influence of; not going outside of; not beyond, overstepping, exceeding, or the like.
- adv. In the inner part; inwardly; internally.
- adv. In the house; in doors.
- adv. on the inside
- Old English wiþinnan. More at with- + in. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English withinne, from Old English withinnan : with, with; see with + innan, from within (from in, in; see in1). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Cargill is within a certain distance -- and it is up to you to be _within_ that distance -- it will find him, and kill him.”
“General Leman himself was within that work, the batteries against which were now operating from _within_ the ring -- that is, from the city itself, or in what soldiers technically call "reverse" -- that is, from the side upon which no fort is expected to stand, the side which is expected to defend and not to be attacked from.”
“And for this reason -- that though Nature lays down the great constitutional laws within which man, her completest representative, must work; and though Nature as a whole formulates the main outlines of her ideal; yet man _within that constitution_ can make his own laws, and within its main outlines may refine and perfect the ideal.”
“As oil poured into water will come to the top, so that inward transforming will not continue hidden within, 'The king's daughter is all-glorious _within_, but also' her _clothing_ is of wrought gold. ”
“Therefore any ship-builder may build any ship in Her Majesty's dominions, provided he does not equip her within Her Majesty's dominions, and he had nothing to do with the acts of the purchasers done _within_ Her Majesty's dominions without his concurrence, or without Her Majesty's dominions even with his concurrence.”
“Who indeed can watch the ceaseless observation, and inquiry, and inference going on in a child's mind, or listen to its acute remarks on matters within the range of its faculties, without perceiving that these powers it manifests, if brought to bear systematically upon studies _within the same range_, would readily master them without help?”
“(_violently to those within_) Am I the man to carry this shut up within me, to keep it secret?”
“Mr. WonTHlitOTON communicated two resolu - tions of the Legislature of the State of Ohio; the one, requesting their Senators and Representa - tives in Congress to use their exertions to obtain a grant of land between the Sciota and the Little Miami, io aoy part of the unappropriated lands of the United States within that State, for the use of schools, within* the Virginia military dis - trict, in lieu of the donation heretofore granted by Congress for that purpose, for reasons staled in the resolution; the other, requesting them to use tbeir exertions to procure the passage of a law prohibiting the importation of slaves into the United States, or any of the territories thereof, so sood as the Constitution will admit of the same.”
Internet Archive: The debates and proceedings in the Congress of the United States : with an appendix containing important state papers and public documents, and all the laws of a public nature; with a copious index; compiled from authentic materials
“Demosthenes quotes the law of Solon to the effect that — “No woman under sixty years old to enter the house or follow the corpse except those within ἀνεψιαδοῖ (πλὴν ὅσαι ἐντὸς ἀνεψιαδῶν εἰσιν): no woman _at all_ may enter the house after the carrying out of the corpse except _those within_ ἀνεψιαδοῖ.” (”
“King's daughter, "all glorious without," all glorious within "--" her clothing of wrought gold "-- resplendent _without_ with the robes of righteousness -- radiant _within_ with the beauties of holiness -- shall be brought" with gladness and rejoicing, "and" enter into the King's palace. ”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘within’.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Words to be replaced by a paragraph mark if you are after terms and MWEs.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Collection of prepositions! Inspired by AWAD week of 3 - 9 Nov 2008.
Very basic words for ESL students.
words that describe me or that i am focusing on.
( personal list )
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Words from Madeleine L'Engle's classics, A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, and A Swiftly Tilting Planet.
Looking for tweets for within.