from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A flowing back; ebb.
- n. Chemistry The process of refluxing.
- transitive v. To boil (a liquid) in a vessel attached to a condenser so that the vapors continuously condense for reboiling.
- intransitive v. To be boiled in such a way.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the backwards flow of any fluid
- n. a technique, using a reflux condenser, allowing one to boil the contents of a vessel over an extended period
- v. To boil a liquid in a vessel having a reflux condenser
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Returning, or flowing back; reflex.
- n. A flowing back, as the return of a fluid; ebb; reaction.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A flowing back: as, the flux and reflux of the tides.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an abnormal backward flow of body fluids
- n. the outward flow of the tide
Medieval Latin reflūxus : Latin re-, re- + Latin flūxus, flow, from past participle of fluere, to flow.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)