from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tendency to recidivate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Committing new offenses after being punished for a crime.
- n. Chronic repetition of criminal or other antisocial behavior.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being recidivous; relapse
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Relapse into crime; the conduct or condition of a recidivist.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. habitual relapse into crime
From recidivist, one who recidivates, from French récidiviste, from récidiver, to relapse, from Medieval Latin recidīvāre, from Latin recidīvus, falling back, from recidere, to fall back : re-, re- + cadere, to fall.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)