from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To return to a previous pattern of behavior, especially to return to criminal habits.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To return to criminal behaviour; to relapse
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To backslide; to fall again.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To fall back, relapse, or backslide; return to an abandoned course of conduct.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. go back to bad behavior
If we invest in providing education and training to those at risk of becoming or remaining criminals, the chance that they will recidivate goes down exponentially with each grade level completed.
Those old ladies in the story are unlikely to recidivate.
They must pay for these classes and take whiz quizzes to make sure they remain on the path of righteousness and not recidivate back into the dangerous world of marijuana abuse.
Peaceable felons will then have, like all other law-abiding citizens, the ability to wear body armor defensively with no risk to society and the violent felons who recidivate will face consequences for wearing body armor in their future crimes.
And even if 25 percent of them will not recidivate, are we willing to risk the other 75 percent of our children?
And if you don't help them deal with their addiction and alcohol problem, the minute they get out of prison they're going to go back to the drugs and booze, and they're going to recidivate.
POULSEN: I suspect that I only found the ones who are least likely to be doing wrong now, perhaps the ones that joined MySpace not looking to recidivate, just doing what MySpace users do.
What research supports is that sex offenders who receive treatment are much less likely to recidivate.
If you get out of jail and you're 60 or 65 or 70, is there a likelihood that you're going to recidivate?
And even after leaving the program, drug court participants -- even if they don't complete the program -- recidivate at rates 4-20% lower than those in control groups.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.