from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A defensive fortification work in the shape of a V.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A work having two parapets whose faces unite so as to form a salient angle toward the enemy.
- n. A step or vertical offset in a wall on uneven ground, to keep the parts level.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In field fort., the simplest kind of work employed, consisting of two parapets of earth raised so as to form a salient angle, with the apex toward the enemy and unprotected on the rear.
- n. A downward projection in a wall on uneven ground to render it level.
- n. Synonyms See fortification.
From French redan, corruption of redent, from re- + dent ("tooth"). (Wiktionary)