from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An enclosure where stray animals are confined.
- transitive v. To confine in or as if in a pinfold.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An open enclosure for animals, especially an area where stray animals were rounded up if their owners failed to properly supervise their use of common grazing land.
- v. To confine animals in a pinfold.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A place in which stray cattle or domestic animals are confined; a pound; a penfold.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A place in which stray cattle are temporarily confined; a pound.
- n. A fold or inclosure for animals.
- To confine in a pound or pinfold; impound.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a pen where stray animals are confined
Middle English pynfold, alteration of Old English pundfald : pund-, enclosure + fald, fold.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
pen + fold (Wiktionary)