from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A narrow bed, especially one made of canvas on a collapsible frame.
- n. Chiefly British A crib.
- n. A small house.
- n. A protective covering or sheath.
- abbr. cotangent
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A symbol of the trigonometric function cotangent.
- n. A simple bed, especially one for portable or temporary purposes; a camp bed.
- n. A wooden bed frame, slung by its corners from a beam, in which officers slept before the introduction of bunks.
- n. A crib (child's bed).
- n. A finger cover used to prevent static discharge.
- n. A cottage or small homestead.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small house; a cottage or hut.
- n. A pen, coop, or like shelter for small domestic animals, as for sheep or pigeons; a cote.
- n. A cover or sheath. See also finger cot.
- n. A small, rudely-formed boat.
- n. A sleeping place of limited size; a little bed; a cradle; a piece of canvas extended by a frame, used as a bed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small house; a cottage; a hut; a mean habitation.
- n. A small bed or crib for a child to sleep in; also, a portable bed formed of canvas, webbing, or other material fastened to a light frame, often made cross-legged to permit folding up. Also called cot-bed.
- n. Nautical, a swinging bed or hammock of canvas, stiffened by a wooden frame, and having upright sides of canvas to protect the sleeper.
- n. A leather cover for a finger, used to protect the finger when it is injured or sore, or to shield it from injury, as in dissecting; a finger-stall.
- n. A sheath or sleeve, as the clothing for a drawing-roller in a spinning-frame.
- n. Refuse wool.
- n. A fleece of wool matted together; a lock of wool or hair clung together.
- n. A little boat.
- n. An effeminate person.
- n. An abbreviation of cotangent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small bed that folds up for storage or transport
- n. a sheath worn to protect a finger
- n. baby bed with high sides made of slats
Hindi khāṭ, from Sanskrit khaṭvā, from Tamil kaṭṭu, to bind, tie.
Middle English, from Old English.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Hindi खाट (khāṭ) (Wiktionary)