from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- auxiliary v. The negative form of can1.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Can not ( = am/is/are unable to).
- v. Am/are/is forbidden or not permitted to
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Am, is, or are, not able; -- written either as one word or two.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A way of writing can not, due to the silencing in pronunciation of one of the n′ s.
can + not (Wiktionary)