American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An oblong basketlike bed for an infant.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as basinet.
- n. A wicker basket with a covering or hood over one end, serving as a cradle for young children.
- n. A name given to several common European species of Ranunculus.
- n. The pan of a harquebuse or musket. See pan.
- n. A newborn baby's bed, typically made of woven reeds or straw.
- n. A bascinet.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A wicker basket, with a covering or hood over one end, in which young children are placed as in a cradle.
- n. See Bascinet.
- n. a perambulator that resembles a bassinet
- n. a basket (usually hooded) used as a baby's bed
- From French bercelonette, a doubled diminutive of berceau ("cradle"), influenced by bassin ("basin") (Wiktionary)
- French, small basin, diminutive of bassin, basin, from Old French bacin; see basin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The bassinet is in storage, as is the infant car seat.”
“Nap attempt Number One: put sleepy Baby in bassinet unswaddled.”
“That bassinet from the local yard sale seems like a steal, and it is, it’s just that what can sometimes happen if baby sleeps too much on his back is his head starts to get a little flat.”
“According to the CPSC, the problem with the bassinet occurs when the Velcro fabric on the side that opens to convert it to a bedside sleeper, is not reattached.”
“As for the white one, the priceless, the gossamer, the fairy web, which might pass through a ring, that, every lady must be aware, was already appropriated to cover the cradle, or what I believe is called the bassinet, of Master Pendennis.”
“The bassinet was the first visible herald of the expected infant -- and it put Tessa's situation in concrete terms that could no longer be ignored.”
“The bassinet was a much needed new piece of equipment due to the increase Brooks announces 2008 HealthQuest schedule February 16, 2008”
“And in a wooden crate, set up on two sawhorses to make a kind of bassinet, was a baby.”
“Baby Boy O’Donnell started wriggling his legs, the cacophony beginning to rouse him; his bassinet was the boxer’s closest neighbor.”
“Products designed for newborns, babies and toddlers -- including car seats, breastfeeding pillows, changing pads, crib wedges, bassinet mattresses and other items made with polyurethane foam -- contain multiple toxic chemical flame retardants, according to a first-of-its-kind peer-reviewed study published today in the Environmental Science & Technology journal.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bassinet’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
List of words from phrontistery.info
Things people are giving away on a bulletin board I frequent.
I've no idea where I got this page full of words, but whatever it is, I want to find it again. May have duplicate words from other lists.
structured and spacious words - literally and figuratively
Words meaning a basket.
Looking for tweets for bassinet.