from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A strip of cloth wound spirally around the leg from ankle to knee. Often used in the plural.
- n. A gaiter covering the lower leg. Often used in the plural.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A strip of cloth wound round the leg, worn for protection or support by hikers, soldiers etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A kind of gaiter of waterproof cloth wrapped around the leg, used by soldiers, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A strip of woolen or other fabric, sometimes waterproofed, four inches wide and three yards long, with a tape at one end, designed to be wound spirally around the leg, from the ankle nearly to the knee. It forms an efficient protection to sportsmen and soldiers. See the extract.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a strip of cloth wound around the leg to form legging; used by soldiers in World War I
a kind of "puttee" legging, consisting of a long wrapping of white canvas.
January 17, 2008 at 9:00 am silleee puttee iz a stiky subjekt fur me.
I wonst gotted in beeg twubbel for frowing sillee puttee or wuz is plai dough? at the seeling.
The joints of the limbs I could not see, because of the puttee-like straps in which they were swathed, and which formed the only clothing the being wore.
They were clothed in the customary fashion of their tribe -- with a sort of blanket-capote garment reaching below the knee, their lower limbs swathed in strips of blanket, wound puttee-wise.
Zaidos stooped and tightened the strap of his puttee.
He slid the pencil down into his puttee and stood up, bowing.
Nick sang out cheerfully as he made a great pretense of picking up his books and stuffing a couple of pencils in the top of his pigskin puttee.
A soldier lay on his back with his rifle beside him, his left foot merely held on by his puttee.
A bullet had just grazed his leg and the Government was compelled to provide him with a new puttee.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.