from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- interj. Used to express joy, encouragement, or triumph.
- n. A shout of "huzzah.”
- n. A cheer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- interj. Used as a call for coordinated physical effort, as in hoisting.
- interj. Used as a cheer indicating enjoyment or approval.
- n. A cheer often associated with sailors, shouted by a group in praise of a thing or event.
- v. To cheer with a huzzah sound.
Perhaps variant of Middle English hisse, heave!; see hoist.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)