from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Work paid for according to the number of units turned out.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of piece work.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Work done by the piece or job; work paid for at a rate based on the amount of work done, rather than on the time employed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Work done and paid for by measure of quantity, or by previous estimate and agreement, in contradistinction to work done and paid for by measure of time.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. work paid for according to the quantity produced
Sorry, no etymologies found.
She did what they called 'piecework' and would sew up these dresses for a penny each.
In piecework, which is what most of us do, the case is none the less plain for being even less material.
The courts and legislatures acknowledge this, that modern "piecework" medicine is nearly impossible to account for by reason of its complexity.
Under the "piecework" mode, workers are paid 11 to 17 dollars per 23-kg box of nuts, which takes 12 to 14 hours to gather.
I think of it less as piecework, more as entrepreneurship.
Farmers who grew crops and stewarded the land were cajoled into resembling industrial workers from the city who produced piecework in a complex system overseen by major corporations, said Chuck Hassebrook, executive director of the Center for Rural Affairs.
Putting our physician on piecework wages sure made him hustle!
Unlike some of his peers who service multiple film projects at a time, Mr. Williams doesn't farm out any piecework to underlings.
At 16, when Evora was doing piecework as a seamstress, a friend persuaded her to sing in one of the many sailors' taverns in her town.
Getting by, thanks to Mom's piecework in the downtown sweatshops and my mechanic father's signing on to one of the New Deal's public jobs programs.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.