from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Inflicting or aiming to inflict punishment; punishing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. inflicting punishment, punishing
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to punishment; involving, awarding, or inflicting punishment.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or involving punishment; awarding or inflicting punishment: as, punitive law or justice.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. inflicting punishment
Medieval Latin pūnītīvus, from Latin poenīre, pūnīre, to punish; see punish.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Medieval Latin punitivus, from pūniō ("I punish"). (Wiktionary)