from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Serving or tending to castigate.
- n. An instrument formerly used to punish and correct arrant scolds; the ducking stool or trebucket.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Punitive in order to amendment; corrective.
- n. An instrument formerly used to punish and correct arrant scolds; -- called also a ducking stool, or trebucket.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Serving to castigate; tending to correction; corrective; punitive.
- n. pl. castigatories (-riz). Something that serves to castigate; specifically, an apparatus formerly used in punishing scolds. Also called ducking-stool and trebucket.
Sorry, no etymologies found.