from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A demand that something be done; a command.
- n. A request to appear; a summons.
- n. Bids considered as a group, as at an auction or in card games: The bidding was higher than expected.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of bid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Command; order; a proclamation or notifying.
- n. The act or process of making bids; an offer; a proposal of a price, as at an auction.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Invitation; command; order; a proclamation or notifying.
- n. The act of making an offer at an auction: as, the bidding was lively.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a request to be present
- n. an authoritative direction or instruction to do something
- n. (bridge) the number of tricks a bridge player is willing to contract to make
Sorry, no etymologies found.
A label bidding war ensued and after the deal was signed and the album recorded...the label chose not to release it.
Models get this, writers and actors too, but musicians have the good fortune to occasionally be a part of a label bidding war, the ultimate in processed pre-hype.
They had sparked a label bidding war with the first track they ever wrote, Letting Go, after MySpace bosses heard it and made them their Featured Artist of the Week.
What ordinarily happens it is is going to be a sale is that the court will, at the beginning of the process, approve what it calls bidding procedures and those bidding procedures will typically allow the company and some groups of creditors, depending on whether they are in the money or not, to decide what they think is the highest and the best offer.
Interest from the world's major food companies in bidding for United Biscuits has been muted.
In Williston, jobs are so plentiful these days that employers engage in bidding wars for workers.
Interest from global food companies in bidding for United Biscuits has been muted.
Odd. In June 2008, Fox Sports Chairman David Hill said Fox was "absolutely, keenly interested" in bidding and, with the 2014 Games in Russia, he added: "I'm a huge fan of caviar — on Russian blintzes; it's fabulous."
Partner's bidding is consistent with a hand such as 6, K Q 10 7 6 5, 6 5 4, A Q 2, where you can make no game despite your 14 points.
Misha Haghani of Paramount Realty USA, which conducted the auction, said the wide Romanesque-style townhouse sold in about three minutes of bidding from a group of more than 50 people crowded into a law office in the Chrysler Building.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.