from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology One of the three Fates, the cutter of the thread of destiny.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. One of the three Fates, or Moirae, daughter of Zeus and Themis; the cutter of the thread of life
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of neuropterous insects, of the family Psocidæ: synonymous with Troctes.
- n. A genus of venomous serpents.
- n. A genus of lepidopterous insects.
- n. [lowercase] A neuropterous insect of the genus Atropos.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the Greek goddess of fate who cuts the thread of life
Greek, from atropos, inexorable : a-, not; see a-1 + tropos, changeable; see -tropous.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek Ἄτροπος, literally meaning inflexible or not turning, from the Greek a-, (not) + tropos, (to turn). (Wiktionary)