Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In mythology, one of the names given to Artemis (Diana), from her reputed birthplace, Mount Cynthus in the island of Delos.
- n. Hence In poetry, a name of the moon, the emblem of Diana.
- n. In zoöl.: A genus of nymphalid butterflies, containing such as the painted-lady, C. cardui.
- n. A genus of simple sessile tunicaries, of the family Ascidiidæ, with coriaceous body-wall and four-lobed oral and atrial orifices, Savigny, 1827.
- n. A genus of crustaceans.
- n. A genus of Coleoptera.
- n. A genus of Diptera.
- n. [lowercase] In botany, the Virginia *goat's-beard (which see).
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Classical mythology) the virgin goddess of the hunt and the moon; daughter of Leto and twin sister of Apollo; identified with Roman Diana.
- n. (Greek mythology) the virgin goddess of the hunt and the Moon; daughter of Leto and twin sister of Apollo; identified with Roman Diana
- From an Ancient Greek epithet of the moon goddess Artemis, from the Mount Κύνθος (Cynthus), on Delos island, the center of her worship. (Wiktionary)
“Once during the term Cynthia had held some of them -- in the hollow of her hand, and had incurred the severe displeasure of Miss Sadler by refusing to tell what she knew of certain mischief-makers.”
“In fashion circles, the name Cynthia Rowley is synonymous for whimsical dresses and feminine separates, but America has yet to meet the woman behind the...”
“Which was when Kyle remembered that he’d seen the name Cynthia Marlow all over the magazine covers in the supermarket checkout line: WHO IS CYNTHIA MARLOW?”
“Cynthia is the woman he had an affair with (we found out in the season premiere).”
“Blumenthal's wife, Cynthia, is the daughter of real estate mogul Peter Malkin, whose holdings include the landmark New York City building.”
“The Green Party has a wonderful candidate in Cynthia McKinney and deserve notice.”
“Tell you what, he said, why dont I call Cynthia now?”
“The girls ran upstairs, and I called Cynthia to see what was keeping her and Tina so long to pick up the pizzas.”
“I called Cynthia as soon as I got in the car to tell her I was on my way to pick her up, but like always she was waiting for me.”
“In addition to developing the first-ever series of facial exercises, Cynthia is the founder and president of Rejenuve, maker of anti-aging products for men and women.”
‘Cynthia’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Cynthia.