from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A noblewoman.
- n. A woman who holds a peerage by descent or appointment.
- n. A woman who holds a title by association, as the wife or widow of a peer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A noblewoman married to a peer
- n. A woman holding a noble title in her own right.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The wife of a peer; a woman ennobled in her own right, or by right of marriage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The consort of a peer; a woman ennobled by descent, by creation, or by marriage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woman of the peerage in Britain
Sorry, no etymologies found.