from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A water bird, especially a swimming bird.
- n. Swimming game birds, such as ducks and geese, considered as a group.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. birds, such as ducks, geese and swans, that spend most of their non-flying time on water; especially those of the family Anatidae
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any bird that frequents the water, or lives about rivers, lakes, etc., or on or near the sea; an aquatic fowl; -- used also collectively.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as water-birds.
- n. In a restricted sense, swimming birds, especially those which, as the Anseres, are used for food or for any reason engage the attention of sportsmen.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. freshwater aquatic bird
water + fowl (Wiktionary)