from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several brownish, long-legged shore birds of the genus Numenius, having long, slender, downward-curving bills.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several migratory wading birds in the genus Numenius of the family Scolopacidae, remarkable for their long, slender, downcurved bills.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A wading bird of the genus Numenius, remarkable for its long, slender, curved bill.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bird of the genus Numenius.
- n. A name of several grallatorial birds with slender decurved bill, not of the genus Numenius.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large migratory shorebirds of the sandpiper family; closely related to woodcocks but having a down-curved bill
Middle English curleu, from Old French courlieu, perhaps of imitative origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)