from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various large shore birds of the genus Limosa, having a long, slender, slightly upturned bill.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of four species of long-billed, migratory wading birds in the genus Limosa, of the family Scolopacidae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of several species of long-billed, wading birds of the genus Limosa, and family Tringidæ. The European black-tailed godwit (Limosa limosa), the American marbled godwit (Limosa fedoa), the Hudsonian godwit (Limosa hæmastica), and others, are valued as game birds. Called also godwin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bird of the genus Limosa; a barge; a goathead.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large wading bird that resembles a curlew; has a long slightly upturned bill
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)